how do i hold up the top of a chimney?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by katiesdad » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:15 pm

I live in a mid terrace Victorian house with chimneys either side of the party wall. My side of the chimney was removed at ground and first floors many years ago. What’s left was tapered back, leaving the bond to support the rest of the stack up through the loft and out the roof. I know this is common practice and with a few boards on the ceiling rafters to catch any dust it works OK. I want to now convert the loft but leave the chimney breast in place. Can someone please advise me on what might now be the acceptable way of 'tidying up'/supporting the chimney breast? I plan to build a stud wall completely across the front of the chimney breast when I convert the loft.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:13 pm

I think you should take the rest of it out TBH.

Cheers

katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by katiesdad » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:32 am

Thanks Rosebery, but i really dont want to disturb the party wall and my neighbours chimney stack. So I need a "proper" alternative.
Thanks

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: how do i hold up the top of a chimney?

by rosebery » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:31 pm

"Thanks Rosebery, but i really dont want to disturb the party wall and my neighbours chimney stack. So I need a "proper" alternative."

Thats my point - I don't think there is one until you find a pile of bricks in your front room, by way of the bedroom, one morning that is when the problem will have been solved. But I'm quite open to correction on that. I think you had better find yourself a structural engineer to look at it.

Cheers

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm

You probably don't know this but the UK has more Earth tremors than anywhere else in the world.
It is not unknown for chimneys to collapse.
You probably have never stood next to a chimney and don't realize just how big they are.
Get a pair of binoculars and count the rows of bricks, throw in the lines of mortar and work out how much weight you have balancing up there.
Consider has your next door neighbor done the same thing?
The whole thing may just be balanced on one row of bricks.
Does he use his side of the chimney?
He may well be happy to have the whole thing removed.
Bricks and mortar weigh in at 45 kilos per cubic foot, about one hundred weight.
If it tips over you may well be dead sooner than you expect.

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

by elwood » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:31 pm

hi

Take rosebery's advice it is sound.

unlike your chimney.

Bye

wonderfulwend
Labourer
Labourer

by wonderfulwend » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 am

Hi, I am in a similar situation. Live in a detached bungalow. The ground floor chimney breasts were taken out years ago before we purchased the property 5 years ago. We are doing a loft conversion, and have been left with an unsupported chimney in the loft area. The stack has been taken down to below roof level, and re-roofted over the top of the chimney left. There is approx 8ft of chimney breast left in the loft area which is tied into the outside wall. We are now wondering how to support the bit that is left, as the outside wall is rendered and tyroleaned, so do not want to disturb this as it will be a big job to get it all re-done. Will gallows brackets support the weight of the chimney breast that is left, is there anything else we can use, or will we HAVE to take it down.

Any help would be appreciated.

katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by katiesdad » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:23 am

The Gallows brackets will have to fixed into the brick wall, but to prove the strength of the wall to a structual engineer might be difficult. My building inspector suggested using extra floor joists, with a timber frame supporting the chimney breast. Remember that the most of the chimney is supported by the brickwork bond, so actually there is not that much weight to carry.
Let us know how you get on.

polishingpeanuts
Apprentice
Apprentice

by polishingpeanuts » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

katiesdad wrote: Remember that the most of the chimney is supported by the brickwork bond, so actually there is not that much weight to carry.
Let us know how you get on.

I dare not tell you how little that the brickies of old used to bond into chimney breasts sometimes.

I have lost count of how many chimnys that we have taken out and there has been a 'tie' brick into the gable about every half a dozen courses or so......

Also, what is the span between the walls under the breast? It is quite usual to slide a steel underneath if possible and brick up to the hanging breast.

How are you supporting the loft conversion floor too? IF steels are needed there, maybe you should incorporate one of the steels to sit under the breast. (some loft conversions fit steels in between existing ceiling joists packed up slightly off the wallplates, and new floor joists are notched into/onto them)

So difficult to advise accurately without seeing job/plans! Sorry if that is a bit generic.

Good luck
Ian

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:37 pm