how do i kno that the damp proof course is sufficient???
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neasmithj
Labourer
Labourer

how do i kno that the damp proof course is sufficient???

by neasmithj » Sun May 02, 2010 1:44 am

Please could someone give me some advice?
We are in the process of purching a house, it is an end of terrace (approx 100yrs old) the side of the property is our concern...there is a build up of concrete and soil which has built up way over the damp proof course of the house. We have questioned this with the vendors and they have said that the damp proof course is sufficient and the walls to that side of the property have all been dry lined and there are no damp problems at all...i would just like to know if anything further could be done when we move in just to be on the safe side..ie., could the concrete and soil be dug out and re-damp proofed just for peace of mind????
Any suggestions...thank you.

Damp_man
Labourer
Labourer

by Damp_man » Sun May 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi,

Concrete and soil should not being going above the damp proof course as this will bridge it. It would be best for this to be moved away from the wall. You will only need a new damp course putting in if the current one is failing and you have rising damp on the inside of the building. This is sometimes visible on the wall or you can use a damp meter to see the moisture levels in the wall. On the outside once the soil/concrete is removed the wall will be able to dry out and breathe.
:)

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Alarm bells should indeed by ringing!
Why would someone spend good money on dry lining?
Unless there is damp?

As the Dampman writes, the damp proof course should be at least six inches above the nearby ground. (Preferably above nine inches)

Obviously it will only take a few minutes to move the problem.
It will however, take some time for the wall to dry.
Try a damp meter on the outside.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:43 pm