How do I make the damp under-stairs cupboard usable?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Carolynf
Labourer
Labourer

How do I make the damp under-stairs cupboard usable?

by Carolynf » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm

We have recently moved into a lovely terrace which we rent, it’s quite well maintained but the usual slight issues of older houses.

There is a good under-stairs space which is bare brick (painted) but it is cool and slightly damp/humid. (Pictures attached.) This has become evident as we are seeing the white paint turn to dust and flake away slightly. Today I got the ironing board out and the fabric cover was slightly damp marked, only slightly.

The stair treads are bare as well. Although it’s good for storage, it would be better if it were dry, and had a couple of shelves and hooks.

How should I go about this? My main objective is to deal with the damp and make it a more useful space, probably covering the treads too?

I’m up for a little project if it involves plaster boarding etc, our landlord doesn’t mind us making little improvements. I have little DIY experience, but feel like an under stairs cupboard which is hidden away is a good place to practice!

Attachments
BA4E33CD-2699-4B1B-A25A-01F7FCFEA3B2.jpeg
991E11F2-4A7E-4944-A208-EE51D6F11ED2.jpeg
FA0E06AF-B234-4ED2-9BE4-2163C5304F0A.jpeg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How do I make the damp under-stairs cupboard usable?

by stoneyboy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:42 pm

Hi carolynf
Ventilation is the answer, fit a grille in the riser of the bottom step and another above the door or in the door.
It will take some time for the cupboard to dry but it will never be completely dry.
Regards S

Carolynf
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How do I make the damp under-stairs cupboard usable?

by Carolynf » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:13 am

Hi S

Thank you...Makes sense, and it’s not terribly damp in there (though we will see about that in winter I guess!).

I’ll investigate that then.
Carolyn

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:10 am