How do I remove Creosote from a Pine Garden Chalet?
DIY hints, tips and solutions to the removal and repair of marked and stained areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alexpb22
Labourer
Labourer

How do I remove Creosote from a Pine Garden Chalet?

by alexpb22 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:26 am

We have a Pine Garden Chalet and bought some "light wood" Creosote to spruce it up as it hasn't been treated in years.
We tried it on a few panels of the wood but the Creosote is extremely dark and so is blatantly the wrong stuff to use. We now realise that we need to varnish the chalet with a proper pine treatment but therefore need to get off the Creosote that's currently on there.

What's the best way to remove it? Would one sand it down before staining/varnishing with a pine treatment or could one just go ahead and restain with the creosote underneath?

Any help at all would be appreciated as not sure what to do about the darkened wood.

Thanks

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 pm

I think you have had it. Creosote gets under the surface to protect the wood from the elements (if its not been factory treated ie rough to touch) You could try nitro mores, but i honestly think you have wasted the wood.

greggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by greggy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:51 pm

you could try soaking the area in a bleach solution. that should lighten the colour then you can do it/ treat it with whatever.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:17 pm