How do I remove old central heating thermostat from wall?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kitty
Labourer
Labourer

How do I remove old central heating thermostat from wall?

by Kitty » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:32 am

Hi there..I have moved into a new house which has had a new boiler and new thermostat control panel fitted. They have left the old thermostat control on the wall in the hall - old school square box style with wheel. I want to remove this completely as it is ugly and not in use and then wall paper over where it was and repaint. I have no idea how to do it!!!!! I've looked behind it and it is still wired up so I don't know what to do next.....can anybody help???
Cheers.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:37 pm

I used to have just such a thermostat, to feed the under-floor heating element. At the time, I wanted this feed of power, to redirect it down, using a terminal-block, to a fused wired outlet to a storage radiator. I then permanently covered the round conduit-box with the proper steel cover-disc and 2 cheese-head machine-screws, from a builder's- merchant's. I then filled over the disc with ordinary poly-filla, and decorated over that.
So, all you need to do is switch off the mains power in the house, and remove the thermostat from its wires, and clamp each of them in a scotch-block terminal connector. Wear rubber gloves if you are nervous. Ensure no wires protrude from the connector-block, and tape it to the back of the conduit-box, and screw a suitably recessed cover-plate onto the box, and plaster etc, as req., at your leasure. Restore power once the cover is in place.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1