All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JCR1987
Labourer
Labourer

How do I stop a leaking exterior pipe

by JCR1987 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:09 am

Hi all,

We have an outhouse in our garden with an old unused toilet in there. The problem i have with it is that the water pipe to the toilet is leaking and I don't know how to stop it.

To explain, the pipe comes up out of the concrete floor for about 6 inches, then there is stopcock, and then 6 inches up there is a hose tap fitted. The remainder of the pipe carries on up to the toilet cistern. The problem lies with the stopcock and the hose tap. The stopcock is rusted over and cannot move, and the connector nut from the hose tap to the pipe is where the leak has occured as the pipe must have been bent or loosened a little when i tried to stupidly force the stopcock closed.

I did consider heating up the stopcock to try and loosen it so i can shut the water off, but can't see how i'd do that as the leaking pipe is covering the stopcock with water so no heat could be generated. I can't tighten the connector nut to the pipe from the hose tap as every time i've tried to I end up pulling the pipe when trying to turn the nut and i'm worried i might split or even break the pipe completely.

Any ideas how to stop it?

Cheers,
JR

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Try turning off mains stop tap to house - in garden.

Or buy freezing gear, freeze before stop tap an renew stop tap.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:51 pm