How do I use THREE thermostats?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ffolly
Labourer
Labourer

How do I use THREE thermostats?

by ffolly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I have a Baxi Duo Tec Combi HE boiler with a dial for Central Heating Temperature Control; a Siemens RDH10RF remote thermostat, and separate thermostats on all the radiator valves. How do I juggle with all these controls - particularly the first two - to get my heating right?

As it is, I've been setting the remote thermostat to 21C and the boiler control to 75, radiator valve fully open, but the temperature in the living room rarely gets above 16C, even though the radiators are very hot. I'm confused - any suggestions?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 pm

the temp control on the boiler sets the max water temp to the rads, it can be turned down to a safe touch temp. for where there are small children or vulnerable /elderly adults to prevent contact burns from hot surface of rads.
If too low will take too long to heat up.
You have trv's on ALL rads? not correct, the room with the rf thermostat in should not also have a trv.
That area should be the one you want warmest in the house, ie lounge say.
Set it at say 21, all others should then reach their own set level with the trv's slightly less, thus as each room warms to its level the water flow is reduced to them and finally virtually all water will go to lounge, when that gets to 21 the boiler will shut down untill temp drops.
In order to get a balanced warm up rate each of the rads 'lockshield' valves at opposite end of rads from trv's need setting to give equal flow.

ffolly
Labourer
Labourer

by ffolly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks very much for that - it makes good sense. I'll have a play with the controls to see if it improves.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1