How easy is this going to be?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Darkspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

How easy is this going to be?

by Darkspark » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:56 pm

I have bought a Single 2-Way, 2-Switch Outdoor Weatherproof Switch, IP66 Rated, 20 Amp,
I need it to feed two outdoor lights
1. Flood light
2. Summerhouse lights

So summerhouse cable coming in from the left floodlight down from above and the main feed from house going up through the bottom. All wiring there. I just need to attach to the switch.
How simple is it going to be? I feel there’s not enough space for all the wires (I’m a novice) if I fail I will have to get someone in after I’ve saved for a year to pay them.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How easy is this going to be?

by Mr White » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:28 pm

If you do not feel confident to carry out the job, I strongly suggest for safety sake you get someone to do the job for you, unless you do more research first.

Tip: Do not bring any cable in from the top. Unless you have the correct cable gland for the cable you are using, chances are you will get water ingress. Much better to bring the cables in from the sides.

Darkspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Darkspark » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:18 am

I have the glands wires are set up already in a single switch which now is faulty so wanted to use the double switch

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:15 am

Picture?
Did it go "Bang" by any chance?

Darkspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Darkspark » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:26 pm

It went bang originally from the mains switch which is located in the kitchen the cable goes out through the wall to the outside. To a single switch at present It’s feeds two cables, the floodlight and mains lighting to an outbuilding. I replaced the switch in the kitchen and checked cable with a multimeter for power. Glowed red. So went out to check the outside switch when I removed the cover I pulled some wires free of the connectors are they were corroded it’s about 7 years old. So thought I’d put a double 2 way switch in its place. But it’s come I’m confused as I need 3 cables wired up to it. And cannot upload pics it keeps saying they are too big

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:30 pm

Forums use a lot of data/bandwidth, particularly pictures, so it is quite common for forum software to limit picture size, the limit on this forum is 500kb. You will have to resize your pictures.
Have a look in the help section, it gives some links that will help you to resize your pictures.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:31 am