How hard is it to remove a large UPVC Double Glazed Window Sytem yourself and replace?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
feck
Labourer
Labourer

How hard is it to remove a large UPVC Double Glazed Window Sytem yourself and replace?

by feck » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:37 pm

The Unit contains 2 sets of windows (DGUnit) either side of a set of full double glazed french doors. Each side set of window has a bottom window from floor to around waist height and then from there to the ceiling almost, theres a top-hung outward projecting window.

The problem is, is that this UPVC unit has been leaking water from the patio into the living room. The Living room and patio are basicall a concrete slab with heavy tiles outside and carpetting in. Theres a surface crack in the slab indoors, which stops in the middle of the living room. Where it stops is where a large patch has been occuring.

The unit itself is sitting on top of what i believe may be a wooden support spanning the length of the unit. This had at one time some type of waterproofing membrane that has disintegrated. I also believe that some water may be finding its way around the sides of the unit coming from the old fixing above the unit.

Basically in my head it needs just removing, the support removed and replaced with new brick or wood covered in waterproofing and tested before replacing the unit in place. Obviously in would also seal the crack in the living room at the same time.

I understand its a big job for a complete beginner, but heres where im at in my understanding.

1. remove all DGUnits themselves from the actual UPVC structure. This seems like a fairly easy job, Mark them up, which way they go up, what way round etc before removal. Remove the upvc beading, remove DGUnit carefully and place to one side in a safe environment.
Should i remove the DGUnits from the french doors at this stage or is it easier to leave them in?

2. Slowly and carefully remove the french door upvc parts from the overal UPVC structure.

3. Find, catalogue all fixings from the surround UPVC structure that that holds it into the wall and remove them. Undo screws, slice away any bonding elements, adhesive, sealent etc. Catalogue and photograph the entire process of this.

4. Remove the entire unit to one side, cover, and keep safe from damage.

5 Inspect measure, catalogue and remove the remaing support ie the block supporting the whole UPVC structure which is only a few inches high from what i can feel. I believe at this stage its wood covered at one time with a membrane making it waterproof. This membrane has disintegrated and the wood is now crumbling.

6. Create a new support with all current guidance and best practices. replace waterproofing measures around all brickwork. Then repair crack in concrete and water test.

7. replace UPVC unit, with appropriate packing, replace DGUnits, replace french doors

Anything i missed?

Also i will be roping in a friend for some of the lifting and moving.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How hard is it to remove a large UPVC Double Glazed Window Sytem yourself and replace?

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi feck
If you can remove the trench doors complete with dgu’ s in place. Until you have removed the main frame you will not be able to finally establish the problem. If you have cavity walls you may need to reform the cavity below the frame.
Regards S

feck
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How hard is it to remove a large UPVC Double Glazed Window Sytem yourself and replace?

by feck » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:58 pm

The doors need toe and healing, so at some stage i'm going to have to take the DGU's out of the doors. What would be the advantage of removing them whole with the DGU's in place when i decide to renovate the entire UPVC Frame structure?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi feck
Loose DGUs can easily get damaged and resetting can lead to failure of hermetic seal.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:32 am