DIY Doctor

Main navigation

How much can I safely Chase out from Solid Supporting wall?

Postby gazzaman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:46 pm

I want to replace and relocate my existing radiator in living room.
I am fitting a new Vertical Chrome raidiator and wish to conceal the pipework to it as far as possible.
I want to chase out the wall from where the existing pipe comes out (8mm microbore pipe) to the site of new radiator.

What is an acceptable depth to chase out? The deepest point would be approx 20mm where the final elbow would leave the wall, for the majority it would be approx 10-12mm then for a small distance 17-18mm to accomodate the 15mm pipe I will have to size upto at the radiator.
It is an internal solid wall and I suppose it is supporting??
Also when complete is there any special type of filler to cover the pipework which wont crack etc. with the heat from central heating?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:04 am


Simply Build It

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:40 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics