how much can i trim off a joist ?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tomerny1
Labourer
Labourer

how much can i trim off a joist ?

by tomerny1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi there, i am currently doing my loft conversion and about to put the joists in. The span is under 4 metres outside wall to internal load bearing wall. But at the outside wall i will have to cut joists at an angle to fit them in. I'm using 8"x2" timbers. The ceiling joists are 3"x2". I will probably have to cut joists down to 3" at the end. Does anyone know if i can do this.? or if there is a way of strengthening them at the ends ? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks...Tom..

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: how much can i trim off a joist ?

by welsh brickie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:42 am

obviously you need to cut them but keep it as tight as possible to the angle of the roof,there is no other way.

tomerny1
Labourer
Labourer

by tomerny1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:09 pm

thank you. was also thinking of using "restraint strap" to tie joist to rafter. thanks again...

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

by andy01 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35 pm

you proposing to reduce the depth of the joist from 8" to 3". The shear is greatest at then ends and should be checked to ensure the timber does not fail. The structural engineer you are using to provided the required calcs to building control can check this out for you.
I would use JJIs or FJIs with the proprietry end supports for just this occassion, less calcs involved then

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am