How Much Load for Aquarium on a Wooden Floor
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mrbluefox
Labourer
Labourer

How Much Load for Aquarium on a Wooden Floor

Post by Mrbluefox » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Evening all. First time poster here! Can anyone help me start to determine how much load I can put on a suspended wooden floor please? I've had a glance through the search and on google but the closest match I found on here had zero replies!

I'm not an overly experienced DIY-er but have managed to gather the following:

Ground floor reception room with joists set into the solid block wall (as I can see them in the wall of the understairs cupboard is this is set lower than the floor) perpendicular to how I want to site the load (let's say for arguments sake it's an aquarium). Joists are 80ish mm wide x 110mm deep and are set 430mm apart. Room is 3390mm wide by 4540mm long (in which the joists travel). Said load would straddle between 5 and 6 joists

Property is over a hundred years old and has a damp course certificate (however I do not know the state of the wood underneath (yet) and am reluctant to pull up floorboards until I can work back from a "theoretical" maximum etc).

As an aside, I understnd I'll need to add in some extra airbricks to aid ventilation as it's not great in the room as it stands.

Any pointers or advice most welcome!!

TIA
Neil

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: How Much Load for Aquarium on a Wooden Floor

Post by collectors » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:38 am

Hi, depends on the weight of your full tank. If you think that for every 100Lt of water is 4 x 25k bags of cement, it can add up. I would certainly have some boards up & put some extra support in if more that 100lt tank size.
Think of what it will cost if something happens.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:03 am