how old do building regs go back?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
twominds
Labourer
Labourer

how old do building regs go back?

by twominds » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:35 pm

We are selling our house and after reading the topics about building regs I am a little scared that we will be unable to sell our house as the kitchen wall has been removed to make an open plan kitchen diner but we have no building regs. The work wasn't carried out by ourselves and on the property survey form filled out by the previous owners back in 1996 they said that they had made no alterations. Is there any way to trace back when the work might have occured to determin if building regs were / are needed? I know that we probably sholuld have done these investigation at the time of buying but I wasn't with my husband back then and I don't think he thought anything of it at the time. Can this stop us selling ? Our buyers have a survey on our house next week, what should we do?

bco
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bco » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi

Building Regs go back to 1960 somthing, before my time im afraid and before this were the Building Bylaws. So sorry permission would have been required in 1 form or another! Ring your local Building Control dept and ask them to do a search of thier records for your property, there is normally a small charge for this and if they do have a record of the works they would provide a copy of the approval for you. If no approval was obtained you could always apply for A Regularisation certificate with them to gain retrospective approval.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1