How Should I Thin Down Plywood
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rflook
Apprentice
Apprentice

How Should I Thin Down Plywood

by rflook » Sat May 25, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi,

A few weeks ago our builders put down ply on the kitchen floor as part of the work we asked them to do to replace the old floor - I am going to put the laminate down myself.

I have just been checking the floor again to see if there are any obvious challenges and have noticed that one bit of ply is raised in one particular spot to such an extent that it might cause a problem when putting the laminate down. It isn't a particularly large area but I would like to level it out if possible. What would be the best way of doing this. I though perhaps sanding it down a bit but then wondered it a block plane might be the way to go?

Any advice gratefully received.

KEVINCONBOY
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How Should I Thin Down Plywood

by KEVINCONBOY » Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 pm

Depending on the size of the area that is high I would opt for for a belt sander with a coarse grit paper fitted, or if you have a lot to come off use a power plane to remove the bulk off first. The best tool to use overall, but you would need to hire one probably is a tool called an edging sander which you normally use when sanding around the edges of rooms after using a floor sander. Remember which ever way you go make sure you sink all the fixings that was used to fix the plywood down far enough below the surface or you will tear the sandpaper or hit the planes blade. Hope this is some help and just keep your straightedge handy when completing your task.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:47 am