How to choose the correct replacement tap body
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Asquared
Labourer
Labourer

How to choose the correct replacement tap body

by Asquared » Sun May 03, 2020 7:10 pm

I have an ordinary kitchen mixer tap about 5 years old that has been dripping on both hot and cold. I obtained and fitted replacement washers (19 mm) via Ebay; cold side worked perfectly. Hot side continued to drip. I disassembled the tap body (gland ?), found no obvious issues, reversed the new washer and refitted. Now the tap is very difficult to operate and still drips. I think I should replace the tap body, but I don't know how to identify the correct part in somewhere like Screwfix, Plumbase, B&Q etc. What should I be measuring or in what other way can I completely identify the tap body to ensure I get a completely equivalent replacement (e.g one onto which I can screw the decorative 'shroud') ?

rmoore853
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How to choose the correct replacement tap body

by rmoore853 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:37 am

Have you check the housing and tighten the nut correctly?

Asquared
Labourer
Labourer

by Asquared » Mon May 04, 2020 11:56 am

I am not a plumber so the principles and best practices are unknown to me, so your suggestions create questions in my mind:

Check housing (what is a 'housing' ?) against what set of standards?

How is 'correctly' defined in terms of tightening? How will I know if it is correct? If incorrect? Do I need a torque measuring device?

How is checking the housing and ensuring correct tightening going to identify a suitable replacement body ?

kjones1829
Apprentice
Apprentice

by kjones1829 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Well, let us hope then that there will be a professional plumber in the group who can answer your doubts and give expert advice as well.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 am

Hi asquared
If you particularly want to keep the existing tap, remove the valve and go shopping. Most of the sheds sell them in clear packaging so you can see if you can match the valve. There are many variables - length of each part, length of spindle and machining on end of spindle (watch for number of splines).
If you find the correct part you may still end up with a leaking tap and will need to re-cut the valve seat.
I'd suggest you avoid the hassle and just replace the whole tap.
Regards S

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 pm