How To Clean Keyboard
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
irfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

How To Clean Keyboard

by irfan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 am

Hi,
I want to know the safe way of cleaning the keyboard. Some of my friend opened his own and remove all keys and washed them with detergent and again fixed the keyboard and it looks new. Is it safe or should i use some other way.
Thanks.

Harrisk
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How To Clean Keyboard

by Harrisk » Tue May 15, 2012 2:09 pm

My friend also tried the same and his keyboard working fine. But you need to know well how to assemble it back rightly and if you do not know then do not do this.

Philston
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Philston » Wed May 23, 2012 9:09 am

First: Unplug your keyboard (obvious but had to say it)

Dust:
- Use a can of compressd air
- Soft brush (buy a computer cleaning kit, really cheap)
- Soft brush toothbrush

More advanced:
- Remove key gently with a screwdriver
- Use a cotton swab wipe each key with an isopropyl alcohol, not too strong (not ethyl or bye bye letters)
- Put the key gently back
- Wait for keyboard to totally dry before using it again

gantrysteele
Labourer
Labourer

by gantrysteele » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Depends how attached you are to your keyboard? With new ones starting at £6 is it worth it?

gc9
Tradesman
Tradesman

by gc9 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm

You can look for some video tutorials on youtube. They are usually quite helpful but as gantrysteele said a new keyboard is not that expensive.

Sam Gangee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sam Gangee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 am

I bought a job lot of old Apple Mac keyboards. Some working, some not. All were filthy.
I put them, six at a time, into a domestic dish washer for the usual cycle (about an hour). Then I left them standing on end in a warm place for three days to dry out.

All of the ones that had previously worked still worked. Half of the ones that had not worked now did.
They all looked brand new.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Sam Gangee wrote:I put them, six at a time, into a domestic dish washer for the usual cycle (about an hour).

Wow. That was brave.

I used to clean keyboards regularly by stripping them down and washing each part under the hot tap using washing up liquid and a 3" paintbrush. Don't bother removing the individual keys, I then used compressed air to blow dry the parts like in a car wash and then finally dried them overnight on top of a storage heater.

I found out his worked by trial and error after someone tipped a cup of coffee into the keyboard. Careful cleaning just didn't un-stick all the glued up keys.I thought I had nothing to lose as it was effectively beyond repair anyway.

This place had 50 or so keyboards in use so I was cleaning them all the time. Never had a problem and I used to give them back looking like brand new!

Occasionally, a single key wouldn't work straight away, but I found if I pressed it rapidly 20 or 30 times, it would suddenly spring into life.

Remember though, if you try this, you take the risk Lol. Don't blame me.

bradleymiller
Labourer
Labourer

by bradleymiller » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:04 am

here is the video tutorial for cleaning desktop key board

http : // www . youtube.com/watch?v=AaBzRVLj_lc

Hope it will offer some help

BarryWils0n
Labourer
Labourer

by BarryWils0n » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am

I usually clean my keyboard by totally deviding electronic from plastic parts and then go to the bathroom to wash plastic part. Electro details should be cleaned in any dry way by hands or with dust cleaning tools for home usage if needed.

Dr. Strange
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Dr. Strange » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:04 am

I like baby wipes for this work; I sometimes use a little alcohol if the discoloration is recalcitrant! The blow it out with some canned air.

Rastogi8
Labourer
Labourer

by Rastogi8 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:31 pm

spam removed

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:25 am