how to connect a double pole oven hood switch to mains
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisjoanne
Labourer
Labourer

how to connect a double pole oven hood switch to mains

by chrisjoanne » Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi
Just after a little help please - nice easy one for someone :-)
I'm fitting a oven hood which has live and neutral (no earth) and the booklet informed me I need a 3amp fused double pole switch.
I've got a double and single socket where I would like the double pole switch to go but I'm confused how the connection should be made to the mains.

The double pole switch has 2 x live/neutral/earth (supply & load)

I assume it gets connected to the double plug but how?

Please see picture.

Cheers for any help.
Chris
Attachments
plug.jpg
plug.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 5865 times

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: how to connect a double pole oven hood switch to mains

by ericmark » Sat May 19, 2012 12:17 am

Likely not permitted. The main way of wiring in the UK is what we call a final ring. One is allowed a single item spurred from the final ring. But only one item. The idea is the fuse in the plug or FCU will stop overload as long as there is only a single item. The only way to have more is if that single item is FCU in which case you can then add many more items after that.

I have looked at the restrictions to posting pictures on this forum and I am not prepared to jump through the hoops. If you want pictures try another forum.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: how to connect a double pole oven hood switch to mains

by sparx » Sun May 20, 2012 10:07 am

Hi, as this is a kitchen any wiring alterations/additions are covered by LA Building regs part p which effectively means not legal DIY.
However if as you say single socket is where you want the hood then why not change it for a
Fused Connection Unit(previously known as a switched /fused spur) with a 3Amp fuse these have the required double pole switch with 3mm breaking clearance and would be a non-alteration to the wiring so imho not reportable work.
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:28 am