How to cut threaded shower riser pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYan
Labourer
Labourer

How to cut threaded shower riser pipe

by DIYan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:28 am

Hi to all, would appreciate some help with the following problem.
My dad has plumbers in creating a new bathroom. Tomorrow the 9th is final fix day, and they have only just found after fitting the valve last Thurs and tiling Fri & Mon that the shower riser will not fit due to ceiling restrictions.

The riser is in 2 pieces and I thought the easiest solution would be to cut the straight section down to size and replace the thread BUT.....

My Dad tells me, they don't know what to do and don't have any tools to do what I suggest! - I personally haven't seen these plumbers or their work YET!!!

I'm reasonable at DIY but have never looked at Tap and Die before.

This is a 22mm chrome plated copper pipe -
Is this straight forward?
What Die do I need? Size and Thread gauge?
Will I need to do anything special to pipe end where cut?

Sorry if this is really dumb!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:28 am

a die set would have to match the profile exactly of what you are connecting up to - do they exist? and be very careful because copper is very soft and dies are usually made of steel, you could easily chew it up, or crack the chrome plating making it unsightly. no guarantees that it wont leak and any such modifications would instantly invalidate any warranty that you have on the unit. best to find another solution, change the shower for one with a smaller riser. could end up being a costly error.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:06 pm

THESE PIPES HAVE THE THREADS ROLLED ONTO THEM NOT CUT BY TAP OR DIE.

UNLESS YOU ARE A MECHANICAL FITTER OR COPPERSMITH YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY SKILLS TO ACHIEVE A SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME AND YOU ONLY HAVE ONE ATTEMPT AVAILABLE TO GET IT RIGHT.

IF IT IS TO LATE OR YOU DONT WISH TO LOWER VALVE, THEN YOU COULD TRY TO SOURCE ANOTHER SHORTER RISER OR FIT FLEXY AND SHOWERHEAD OF YOUR CHOICE.

REGARDS,

ALDA.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:35 pm

You shouldn't need to get involved in this. It's up to the plumbers to sort it out.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 am

D,

THERE ARE PLUMBERS AND THERE ARE PLUMBERS!!!

YES THEY SHOULD HAVE INSTALLED CORRECTLY FIRST TIME! A LITTLE BIT OF FORWARD PLANNING/THINKING GOES A LONG WAY.

BUT CLEARLY THEY CAN'T OR WON'T WHICH IS DOWN TO LACK OF EXPERIENCE (MABE COWBOYS) OR THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY SO THEY CAN MOVE ONTO THE NEXT VICTIM!!!

IF YOU HAVENT PAID THEM, THEN KEEP BACK ADIQUATE FUNDS TO COVER THE WORK THAT NEEDS RECTIFYING.

ALDA.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:29 pm