How to earth Gas pipe
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tigerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to earth Gas pipe

by tigerman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:34 am

My gas meter box is outside and at the front of the house. I had a good look inside the meter box and can't see the gas pipe has any earth bonding to it, so I suspect it is not earthed. Can I earth the gas pipe (my side of the meter) to the gas pipe on the supply side of the meter? (because it comes from under the ground so by virture it is an earth point. If not, can i earth my side of the gas pipe to the gas meter metal box which is fixed to the brick wall? Appreciate your advice, thanks.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: How to earth Gas pipe

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:30 pm

[quote="tigerman"]My gas meter box is outside and at the front of the house. I had a good look inside the meter box and can't see the gas pipe has any earth bonding to it, so I suspect it is not earthed. Can I earth the gas pipe (my side of the meter) to the gas pipe on the supply side of the meter? (because it comes from under the ground so by virture it is an earth point. If not, can i earth my side of the gas pipe to the gas meter metal box which is fixed to the brick wall? Appreciate your advice, thanks.[/quote]

TIGERMAN
A 10 MM2 EARTH CABLE WOULD BE ATTACHED 600MM2
MAXIMUM FROM THE CONSUMERS PIPIWORK FROM THE GAS METER
AND RUN TO THE MAIN EARTH TERMINAL CONTAINING YOUR
MEANS OF EARTHING FOR THE INSTALLATION . AS WE R DEALING WITH
THE IMPORTANT SUBJECT OF EQUIPOTENTIAL BONDING U WOULD NEED TO HAVE AN ELECTRCIAN CHECK AND VERIFY THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR EARTHING . BLAKEY 1963

tigerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Earthing gas pipe

by tigerman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi Blakey,
where exactly is this 'THE MAIN EARTH TERMINAL CONTAINING YOUR
MEANS OF EARTHING FOR THE INSTALLATION' ?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Earthing gas pipe

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:02 pm

[quote="tigerman"]Hi Blakey,
where exactly is this 'THE MAIN EARTH TERMINAL CONTAINING YOUR
MEANS OF EARTHING FOR THE INSTALLATION' ?[/quote]

TIGERMAN
NORMALY INSIDE THE MAIN CONSUMER UNIT AND MARKED
EARTHING , WITH THE EARTHING CONDUCTER A16 MM2
CABLE ATTACHED TO IT . YOUR CIRCUIT EARTHS ( C.P.C S ) WILL GO INTO THIS LARGE NORMALLY BRASS CONNECTION BLOCK . THE CPCS
HAVE EARTH SLEEVING ON THEM ( SEE DOC S PROJECTS AND SLEEVING )
BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:45 am