How to extend a ring mains and why some many wires on socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suthercol
Labourer
Labourer

How to extend a ring mains and why some many wires on socket

by suthercol » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:30 pm

Hi

New to this and interested in why when I remove socket front from wall I see three sets of Blue,Brown and Earth wired in to the double socket. Also the earth connects into the earth term for all three and is sleeved as it should be but no earth to metal box. is this ok ? I also want to extend the ring in my loft to provide a double socket in that space for a tumble dryer (it is a very large space and very accessible from kitchen no steps required !!) I have to this extent bought a 30amp junction box and a double socket and plastic drywall box. I need to identify the ring mains though and i think the size of cable should help but any other pointers gratefully received. Once I have this i was intending on breaking this and running through a JB to the double socket and back again to re-join loop ring. Any advice appreciated !! :oops:

Colin.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi Colin,
A couple of things, first by the wiring colours the inst. can only be less than 3 years old, so am slightly suprised to see what is obviously the source of a spur from a socket on the ring!
as it is though it means you can't spur on from there so must, as you imply' locate the actual ring. If only one double socket required you can just 'tee' off ring via your 30 JB to the socket, no need to run back again.
If you wanted to maintain the ring it would mean 2 JB's cutting ring and extending each end one in each box to new socket. this is only worth doing if you want more than one double skt adding.
As for earthing, each conductor of the 3 cables must be seperately sleeved and brought together in the sockets terminal, it is not required under the regs to run an earth 'fly lead'/'pigtail' to the back box, this is folk-law due to people who should know better (NICEIC) misreading regs.
The only time it is necessary to connect from backbox to front plate terms. is if using the metal work of a conduit/trunking/pyro wiring system for your CPC (earth) when the plate screws should not be relied upon to carry fault current. hope this helps clarify situation,
regards SPARX

suthercol
Labourer
Labourer

by suthercol » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks Sparx

I have located a double socket in my loft and it has a red/brown/earth going into it (only one set of wiring). If i was to take the wires from this socket and used them to wire into 30A JB and then use new 2.5mm wire to run from same JB to a new double socket and then from this new socket to another new double socket then back again to JB and complete by wiring back to the initial double socket I took the feed from is this ok ?

I need two double sockets in loft and can only locate one socket from ring mains.

Any help again apprecited !

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:00 am