DIY Doctor

Main navigation

How to find correct brackets for uprights from the 70s...

Is it possible to find brackets that fit?

Yes - you can buy them (please tell me where from!)
No votes
No - you should take the uprights down and install newer ones
No votes
Total votes : 0

Postby gnatrite » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Hello :)
First time posting here so please be kind!
I've just moved into a 1970s build house.
My bedroom has some uprights that I want to add shelves to.
However, the shape of the hole is what I would describe as a thistle shape and I don't know how to find brackets that would fit it.
I've been to two B&Qs - one recommended me brackets that didn't fit, the other didn't know what to suggest.
Is there anywhere I can buy brackets that fit or do I just need to replace the uprights with modern ones that have a more regular shaped hole?
I've added a pic so you can see what I mean. (pic needs rotating, please imagine the image in portrait mode!)
I would really appreciate some help, thanks :)
upright for shelves.JPG
Pic of upright (oops needs rotating 90 degrees but hopefully you get the picture)
upright for shelves.JPG (19.84 KiB) Viewed 658 times


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics