How to Finish Carpet Inlay with Solid Wood Floor Around Outside
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
benbrewer
Labourer
Labourer

How to Finish Carpet Inlay with Solid Wood Floor Around Outside

by benbrewer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:42 pm

****** NEW TO FORUM*****

I am currently doing a slightly tricky installation, in the sense that i have laid down a solid wood floor (tongue and groove) around the perimeter of the room, which is 18mm thick. The solid wood floor runs parallel to all walls, following the room around.

So the idea is to have a carpet inlaid in centre so it is of a similar level to the floor, or just slightly protruding. The floor is laid in a manner so the tongue is facing the skirting board on all sides and the groove is the side that will meet the carpet on all sides.

I would like a carpet to be installed so it finishes next to floor without any wooden threshold strips between carpet and solid wood floor, basically so carpet butts up next to floor. My concerns are mainly how I acheive a straight clean finish, where carpet meets floor.

The carpet i have been looking at is 100% wool, which is a total of 14mm in thickness to be used with a crum rubber underlay (approx 6-7mm), which is quite dense and heavy. Carpet to be glued to underlay so no grippers. I am aware that this would take the carpet level slightly above the solid floor level by a couple of mm, which is fine as i am sure the carpet will flatten slightly over time. I definately do not want to use a wooden threshold strip as this will spoil the look, or for that matter i do not want to have carpet binded at the edges.

In view of the abovei have the fllowing concerns for any experts out there:

If i use the above detailed carpet and underlay for my installation, how do i prevent the edges of the carpet from fraying?
If the only way to avoid carpet fraying from the edges would be to have carpet binded or use a threshold strip, which i am not prepared to do, could i use a cloud 9 underlay for example with with carpet grippers?
If i use carpet grippers and cloud 9 underlay how do i prevent the carpet curving where it meets the floor, to get a straight clean finish? and avoid the curve that the gripper will inveitably give on the edges.

Am i correct in saying that by using such a thick pile carpet of 14mm, this will give a greater curve, where carpet goes into gripper and meets the floor? Am i therefore better off using a qood quality low pile carpet so i get a cleaner finish?

Apologies for the questions..

I have attached 3 images, 1 showing flooring laid down around perimeter of room and second with a carpet sample, using a crumb underlay (this is the type of finish i want to acheive). As i understand it the carpet sample shown on image has some type of glue put on all 4 sides to prevent carpet fraying.
3rd image show groove on flooring, which i wonder if this has any effect on how carpet is laid.
Attachments
carpet and floor finish.jpg
groove in floor.jpg
perimeter of room.jpg

thedoctor

Re: How to Finish Carpet Inlay with Solid Wood Floor Around Outside

by thedoctor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:22 am

The only thing to do is talk to the carpet supplier about what can be done to the edge to stop it fraying. Another time it would be btter to lay the carpet first, then rebate the underside of the internal perimeter boards so they overlapped the first 15mm of the carpet without compomising the finish.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:26 pm