How to Finish off Edges of Roof that have never been Pointed
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thehandyman-ni
Labourer
Labourer

How to Finish off Edges of Roof that have never been Pointed

by thehandyman-ni » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Guys
New to the forum so be easy on me...lol.
I have a Handyman company which has been established for over 10 years and today I came across a problem which I have never encountered. The roof on the images shows that the pointing has never been done or a barge board fitted. What would be the best way to secure these gaps for the customer. I have asked a couple of roofers but they are saying that the whole structure is wrong and they aren't interested. Maybe they are just too busy so I throw myself to the mercy of this forum for answers.
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG

diydoctor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How to Finish off Edges of Roof that have never been Pointed

by diydoctor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:07 am

Hi

The roofers are right, it's been constructed incorrectly and if they are reputable tradesmen they will not want to get involved in a bodged up job. The only thing you can do is ram sand and cement in the gap to stop the weather getting in there but get a disclaimer from the customer saying that this is not the correct way to do it as it is not good practice to leave an overhang of slates. The slates should be lifted, a verge overhang slid and fixed under the battens and then the slates should be re-laid with a proper sand and cement verge.

Hope this helps!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:14 pm