how to fit electric light in garage.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fandangojones
Labourer
Labourer

how to fit electric light in garage.

by fandangojones » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm

I have a detached garage and need to get an electric light in there.

Would it be an easy diy job

At the moment I have a security light outside above my front door that is unused so would it be possible to just use the existing switch and wiring inside the house that go to that and then run a new cable from where the security light was along the wall and across the top of a tall wooden gate to the garage.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:07 am

To comply with regulations not an easy job. The LABC charges are silly so likely cheaper to get an electrician to do the work.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware the Part P regulations only cover 230vac and does not cover extra low voltages.
Since only lights are required 12v would likely be enough and although cables would need to be thicker it maybe would get around the problems of Part P and safety.
Many years ago I strung up old Christmas lights in the loft and still use them as light more spread out and less problems with shadows.
As to work involved a detached garage could mean anything. From 3 foot between house and garage where a simple length of conduit could join them. To 500 yards away where not only would one need to dig a trench but also likely to need earth rods and would not even before 2004 be classed a DIY job.
Today the solar panels are coming down in price so maybe not need to connect to house.
I have seen cables run on a fence and also seen what happened when fence was blown down so in real terms only some one there on site can really advise as to what is required but likely it will need RCD protection and not really a DIY job.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:45 pm