DIY Doctor


Postby mcdaid » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm running 16m of 6mm2 armoured cable from consumer unit to a new 40-amp double pole cooker switch in kitchen. Q1 Do I then run cable from switch to cooker outlet(load).??? Q2 There is no room for a new 32 amp breaker so i'm fitting an enclosure breaker. To connect this what and how??. L N E into enclosure breaker loop out into Consumer Unit L goes Where???? N to NETURAL and E to EARTH??????????
Please help ASAP :idea:
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:15 pm


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Problem is this is notifiable work, as I am assuming the location is within a kitchen?
So should be notified to building controls, it's a legal requirement.
To cut a long story short, by the time you have paid fees for a diy job, be cheaper to call an electrician.
Why are you running SWA cable?
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby mcdaid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 pm

The C.U is in the hall. I have to drill a hole to feed the cable (SWA) outside, clip it along the side of house. Then drill another hole and feed the cable to the new cooker switch that is located in the kitchen. So i should just call an electrician?????????
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Postby moggy1968 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:37 pm

have you considered using conduit on the outside wall rather than SWA?
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics