How to lengthen/extend the cable to a light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Toby
Labourer
Labourer

How to lengthen/extend the cable to a light switch

Post by Toby » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi,
I have a light switch in my dining room on the left of the entrance door which I want to move to the right side of the entrance door. I have found that the cable to the light switch comes up through the floor. I know what type of cable/guage I need for the lighting circuit. My question is how can I extend the exsiting cable to the current light switch up and over the door frame in a channel made from the plaster and then covered up without having to replace the entire original cable with a new longer one by digging up the floor or lifting floor boards in my dining room.
My ideas was to take the existing lead to the the current light switch and attach it to another lead at the length I require to get it over the door frame to the new loacation using a domino......Is a domino the way to go? is it legal? do I need a junction box? What kind of connector do I need? Any advice is greatly appreciated....

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: How to lengthen/extend the cable to a light switch

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:38 pm

[quote="Toby"]Hi,
I have a light switch in my dining room on the left of the entrance door which I want to move to the right side of the entrance door. I have found that the cable to the light switch comes up through the floor. I know what type of cable/guage I need for the lighting circuit. My question is how can I extend the exsiting cable to the current light switch up and over the door frame in a channel made from the plaster and then covered up without having to replace the entire original cable with a new longer one by digging up the floor or lifting floor boards in my dining room.
My ideas was to take the existing lead to the the current light switch and attach it to another lead at the length I require to get it over the door frame to the new loacation using a domino......Is a domino the way to go? is it legal? do I need a junction box? What kind of connector do I need? Any advice is greatly appreciated....[/quote]

TOBY
IF U JOIN THIS CABLE AND RUN TO NEW POSITION WITH NEW CABLE ON RIGHT SIDE OF DOOR THEN YOU SHOULD CHASE UP FROM
EXISTING LEFT SIDE TO CEILING LEVEL ACROSS CEILING LEVEL AND DOWN TO NEW SWITCH POSITION. THIS WOULD BE RUNNING CABLE IN
WHAT IS CALLED A SAFE ZONE. U NEED TO CAP CABLES BEFORE PLASTERING.
AND ONE MOST IMPORTANT POINT. BY RUNNING DOWN FROM CEILING
TO NEW RIGHT HAND SWITCH, ONE IS GOING TO KNOW THAT A CABLE
IS PRESENT, BY THE PRESENCE OF THE NEW SWITCH. THE SAME MUST
APPLY THE OTHER SIDE WHERE U INTEND TO BURY CABLE OF THE
EXISTING LEFT HAND SWITCH AND JOIN IT. THE JOIN NEEDS TO BE
CRIMPED OR TERMINAL BLOCKED, AND A METAL BOX SUNK INTO WALL.
YOU MUST THEN FIT A BLANK PLATE TO INDICATE THAT THE CABLE IS
THERE. OTHERWISE ONCE BURIED IT COULD BE ACCIDENTLY
PIERCED , CAUSING A DANGEROUS SHOCK RISK.
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:08 pm