How to move socket 2 feet?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pjames.79
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to move socket 2 feet?

Post by pjames.79 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:06 am

Hi, this might be a really simple question but thought I should check before I do something dangerous..
I live in an older style house and some of the plug sockets are too high up the walls, I would like to move them down nearer the skirting.
Have chiselled out the existing box, and channelled out the wiring, and also have cut out the space for the new box and a channell for the conduit
but how can I extend the wiring?
Can I just use a chock-block to attach another length of 2.5? or is there a way I should do it?
Thank you in advance, Paul.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 am

Chock blocks can only be used where there is access for maintainance if buried it will need to be crimped connections and have shrink sleeve with epoxy resin to make proper joint. Otherwise if wall got wet you could get a shock by touching it like when one wall papers. Can't remember heights off hand but something like 450mm to 1200mm from floor it is normally the new housed with high sockets not old ones. Also if extending cables you will need to test volt drop, and earth loop impedance and complete a minor works certificate with all your reading. Even though you don't need to submit Part P except in a kitchen. The blank forms are available from the Part P document you will find links on projects area.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:30 am