All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
djmattc
Labourer
Labourer

How to Remove a Shower Tray and Replace With a Bath

by djmattc » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:10 am

Hello

Hopefully "Plumbing" is the right forum to ask this on.

I'm undertaking a task soon to remove a shower tray and replace it with a bath. I've installed a bath previously so that shouldn't be an issue.

However, this shower tray could be a nightmare to remove and wondered if anyone had any top tips on how to go about it?

The shower tray is basically too big and I made a massive mistake of assuming I would never need to remove it. I've attached an image. The left side of the tray literally goes in to the wall by about 3cm, the other two sides just go under the tiles.

Is it safe and possible to cut through the tray and get it removed that way? Assuming the lower tiles should be removed before I even attempt it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_4351_2.jpg

mileso
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How to Remove a Shower Tray and Replace With a Bath

by mileso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:46 pm

might be cemented in
remove glass and frame
chip off lowest tiles the should hide shower tray lip
then it might be a case of chiseling out the tray
it could also possibly be glued in definitely going to have to rip it to bits but remember it also has a drain so you will have to disconnect that as well to get the shower tray totally up

djmattc
Labourer
Labourer

by djmattc » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks for the reply!

So it would be relatively easy to chisel away the tray? I do have an SDS chisel bit so I'm assuming that could do the trick?

I need to do this as quickly as possible as this is our only means of getting clean as it's our only bathroom and due to the lockdown we can't go anywhere else.

mileso
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mileso » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:50 am

OH IF ITS SET IN CONCRETE YEAH HAMMER AND CHISEL should do it easy to it might just be glued down you wont know to you try
An SDS would make it child play. it'll either be on a marine ply of some kind of board it just depends on how they set it up on your floor joists.
My tray was quite robust and heavy made from resin i think, so i had to concrete it down on top of marine ply its rock solid underfoot so it doesn't bounce or move anywhere.
id try and lift it up from the bottom if possible once you have remove a row of tiles so it has somewhere to move otherwise you might have to hack it to bits.
difficult to say without hands on but if it has to come out its gota come out.
Just think on for the stuff your gonna need like copper or plastic pipes and fittings etc.. i had to make many trips as i always had forgotten stuff or realised stuff i needed when i put my bathroom in. it might be a bit difficult with the present situation id think on about leaving it in for a while if its possible, you have to think suppliers wont be working either you might be stuck with no bathroom for a few weeks if you realise there is something you cant get....

all the best

djmattc
Labourer
Labourer

by djmattc » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:03 am

Many thanks for your response.

I'm pretty sure I've got everything I need, assuming the tray can be removed within good time. I did a lot of ordering of bits before the lockdown happened.

Ariya
Labourer
Labourer

by Ariya » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Don’ t be afraid, till you won’t damage the pipes, nothing happens. So it will be safe and possible to cut through the tray and get it removed that way. But to save money watch about fitted it onto a riser kit (to lift the tray off the floor) so that you could connect up to the existing bath waste under the tray (to save on plumbing costs.)

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:29 am