how to remove brick facia from indoor fire place?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
helsky
Labourer
Labourer

how to remove brick facia from indoor fire place?

by helsky » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:51 pm

My fireplace has a brick facia that goes all the way up to the ceiling. I would like to remove the top 2/3 and just have drywall in place. There is some kind of a liner behind the brickwork, and I can slide paper behind it easily. How do I go about removing 2/3 of the brick facia, and are there any anchors into the wall/ joices? Is there anything I need to be aware of removing this facia - i.e. stability of chimney itself? Thank you!

loomo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by loomo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:46 pm

when you say a brick fascia do you mean real bricks? if so then your probably ok to take it down to wherever you want it to. usually when fireplaces are built the main structure and flue etc are formed straight away to get it up through the building and roof so it can be made watertight as quick as possible. usually the fireplace is finished aftrwards to the clients/gaffer's spec. does the brick fascia finish at ceiling height? if yes then no harm can be done by taking a couple of courses of brick off to let the dug see the rabbit so to speak.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 am