How to remove old paving?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DodgyDiy
Labourer
Labourer

How to remove old paving?

by DodgyDiy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:17 pm

I have a very small L-shaped back yard about 13 sq metres (140 sq ft). It is completely covered with ugly flagstones. I would like to remove at least some of these to create space against the fence and the house wall to plant climbers, and optionally replace the rest with block paving. It looks as though there is a thick layer of concrete underneath. While I can find plenty of advice on how to lay down new paving, how do you go about removing the old base layer and prepare the area?

fletch1234
Labourer
Labourer

by fletch1234 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:58 am

Hey Dodgy, now to be honest I am not a gardener, just a guy who bought a house with 3 separate patio areas and a helluva lot of concrete under them, most of which I wanted to remove.
There is no easy way to do this ... I removed any loose flag stones using a crow bar leaving me with concrete underneath. I then went to a hire shop and rented a demolition hammer and went to work on the concrete. The problem was when I reached a point in the concrete where I didn't want to remove any more. I got as close as I could with the hammer and then chipped the remainder away with a mallet and concrete chisel.
Hard work, doesn't require too much skill to do, and you do get a great sense of achievement at the end. Tools you need, crowbar, demolition hammer, concrete chisel, mallet, a good strong pair of gloves and most importantly, remember to wear goggles.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:05 am