How to Repair Burn on Kitchen Worktop due to Lighter Explosion
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oli999
Labourer
Labourer

How to Repair Burn on Kitchen Worktop due to Lighter Explosion

by Oli999 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:08 pm

kitchen worktop damage 2.jpg

A disposable lighter exploded and burned a hole in kitchen worktop. Please, any suggestions on how to repair. I don't want to fix a tile over the top as it's right next to the sink and would like to avoid the expense of replacing the entire worktop panel. I'm not that fussy and don't require an absolutely immaculate finish. Just want something that will be good enough to seal it and stop water getting into the chipboard

Hauser11
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to Repair Burn on Kitchen Worktop due to Lighter Explosion

by Hauser11 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi,

If you absolutely cannot replace the work top, then you have to try to do it incrementally.Try sprinkling some baking soda over the damaged area and try scrubbing it in with a toothbrush or something similar.Use a damp cloth to see if you've made any improvements/if any more work needs doing.

If that isn't to your liking, rub the work top with 200-grit sandpaper to remove as much of the damageas possible. Again, wipe up any burned pieces with a clean rag.

Fill the burn mark/small hole with epoxy. Use the sandpaper to create a smooth, even surface. Leave it to dry before you use the work top.

Other than that, you may have to go down the route of getting a new work top.

All the best.

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: How to Repair Burn on Kitchen Worktop due to Lighter Explosion

by Hugh Schkok » Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 am

I totally agree with the previous poster.
I would actually make a template for my router a rectangle that is larger that the 'wound'. Get some worktop repair filler to match the colour exactly and even better, an off cut of the same coloured worktop and with your router cut a a Dutchman from your offcut. With your previously prepared jig very carefully place the jig over the 'wound' and carefully adjust the depth of the bit so as to be sure you don't cut through the worktop. With a spacing plate fixed on your router base plate around your bit then cut out the rectangle. Dry fit the Dutchman and be sure it doesn't sit proud. When you're happy with it then useing your worktop fillers sparingly coat the Dutchman and place it in to the 'wound'. Clamp it in place and allow it to go off preferably overnight. The filler/goo will have filled the spaces around the Dutchman and then using a piece of hardwood clean off the excess goo and then get some brown wrapping paper and a block, wrap the block with your brown paper and as if you were sanding, gently rub away any improprieties and then wipe off the dust and where your ugly wound once was you will have a almost unnoticeable repair. Good luck

Let us know how you get on

Hugh

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 pm