How to repair rotted wooden door frame to fit new doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mech_man
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to repair rotted wooden door frame to fit new doors

by mech_man » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:40 am

Hi,
I am in the process of replacing some internal doors and need some tips/advice as to how I can repair the existing door frames. The existing door frames are quite old and hinge cut-outs are rotted (see attached photos) so I can't use bigger screws or anything like that to hang the doors.
Just to let you know that I am not a joiner but I do a lot of DIY so I can carry out certain works myself.

I would be grateful ig anyone could suggest anything that I could try please.
Attachments
2_resized.jpg
IMG_0080_resized.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to repair rotted wooden door frame to fit new doors

by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:02 am

Hi mech_man,
The top hinge location is not too much of a problem - take out loose timber, fill with 2-part wood filler and relocate the hinge up above the repair.
The lower area is much more difficult - see if there is any sound frame behind the door stop, if there is cut out all the rotten frame back to the door stop edge. Let in a new piece of frame timber then screw and glue it in place, if you can foam fill behind it. Cut the bottom hinge back in and “bobs you uncle”. If there is no sound timber you will have to replace one side of the frame.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 am