DIY Doctor

How to repair very old land drain?

Postby mpeill » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 am

I have had the need to enploy a digger with operator to excavate a deep hole in my garden. In the process, we found a very old land drain (I think, but definately not foul) which crossed the hole, and is now severed with a 3 meter gap between one end and the other.
The pipe is clay/pot, but very irregular in shape roughly round but partly flat, dating from the late 1800s.
Once we've pumped the water from the large hole, what can be used to bridge the drain ends, being none-cylindrical and certainly not to any standard size, but approximately 6" OD across.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:36 am


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 pm

you can buy flexible field drain pipe from most builders merchants cut it to length and lay it in the gap and cover it with 10mm gravel
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics