How to replace shower tray
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
welsh_mountain_goat
Labourer
Labourer

How to replace shower tray

by welsh_mountain_goat » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:04 pm

Apologies if I have posted to the wrong topic but it's the best match I could find. My shower tray is cracked and causing water leaks through the downstairs ceiling. I want to replace the tray and was wondering if this is likely to be the type of job a novice DIYer like myself could undertake. Any advice would be great. :D

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Not really an answer we can provide, you know if you're up to a job.

If you have abit common sense and are ok with tools then there's no reason why not as long as you understand the principles of drainage and water tight seals.

Make sure the tray is level and the waste pipe has a gradient so that the water runs away from the shower tray. Shouldn't be a major job depending on the shower enclosure and tiles etc.

T F McNeill
Apprentice
Apprentice

by T F McNeill » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Hello welsh mountain goat,
This reply is probably too late for you. I had the same problem, I would guess that you have a plastic shower tray and that it has cracked round the waste outlet. This is caused by the shower tray flexing in use and the waste pipe being rigid. On replacement you need to use a better quality rigid shower tray or a flexible waste connection.
Good luck
T F McNeill

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:43 pm