How to stain a sanded pine wood floor to match original colour
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

Badger35
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to stain a sanded pine wood floor to match original colour

by Badger35 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:29 am

I have a 1980s built house with pine floor boards. I sanded the whole of the upstairs when I moved in and varnished it using a clear matt water-based varnish.

The bathroom (that leads into the hallway) now needs redoing - I still have some of the original varnish I used left, so that is not a problem. However, I have had to be a bit more vigorous than when I originally sanded it to remove the old varnish. As such, the edges of the floorboards where they have 'cupped' are now a lot lighter than the middle bits.

Is there a solution please? I understand that pine darkens/colours with age, and I would be happy to leave the floor until this happens naturally, but not sure how long that would take?

I have read a lot of online solutions about using steel wool soaked in vinegar, potassium permanganate, and tea bags; but am really unsure about doing these things? If I apply the varnish without doing anything, will the lighter bits darken with time, or will the varnish stop this happening?

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm