How to support granite table extending off countertop.
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cmcr
Labourer
Labourer

How to support granite table extending off countertop.

by cmcr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:26 pm

In my renovated kitchen I will have a 5 ft peninsula (over cabinets) extending out to a 36" hexagonal table top, all made of 3cm thick granite. I need help determining what structure to use to support the 36" tabletop. I would like to keep some of the space open under the tabletop. My granite guy said plywood should not be used under the granite, because it can warp. What about MFB? I would like to use a centered pedestal with triangular supports (corbels?) extending out to the edges attached to the MFB under the granite.
I do NOT want to jeopardize the integrity of the granite. Please give advice on the above idea or suggest a better method of support.

Thank you, cmcr

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to support granite table extending off countertop.

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:42 pm

cmcr,
Your supplier doing the installation should be telling you what is required. I would have expected some vertical slabs of granite under the cantilevered part to provide adequate support.
end

cmcr
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to support granite table extending off countertop.

by cmcr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 am

stoneyboy,
I am surprised that it was left up to me to figure out the support.
My granite guy said for me to send him drawings of my ideas. He would then let me know if they are
plausible and what alterations are needed.

cmcr

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:34 pm