How to take out the cupboard shelf
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diyman
Labourer
Labourer

How to take out the cupboard shelf

by diyman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:03 pm

hi all,
I need to take out one shelf from my kitchen base unit to make it bigger space. but I could only see there are 4 white plastic discs underneath the shelf at four corners. They are about the size of a 5p coin. They have a slotted tread on it just like a slotted screw. I tried to turn it using normal screw driver, but it's really difficult as the tread is not deep enough i keep losing it.

so few questions:
1. Am I right to turn these white disc in order to take the shelf out? if yes, anti-clockwise?
2. What tool do I need to turn these discs?

Thanks for your help.

diyman
Labourer
Labourer

by diyman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:24 pm

no taker?? i can provide if more explanation is needed. Cheers.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:38 pm

It sounds like the shelf is secured with a cam and peg system. You should be able to turn the cam's (the bits you can see on the underside of the shelf) through 180-270 degrees to undo their tight grip on the pegs.

Unfortunately you would need to either take a side off the carcass to allow you to remove the shelf, or cut the shelf with a saw to allow you to remove the 2 parts without having to dismantle the carcass.

Freeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Freeman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Sounds like you need a Birmingham screwdriver i.e. a big hammer and smash the shelf out.

The plastic disc is a nut and the shelf would have been screwed in from the outside of the cabinet when first assembled.

The shelf is an integral part of the cabinet and unless it is supported by cabinets either side, could wobble a bit when the shelf is removed, even if you don't use the Birmingham screwdriver method of removal.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 am