DIY Doctor

Main navigation

how to wire a commercail and residential property?

Postby zac83 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi, I'm currently having a full refurb of a property i have purchased. Wanting advice as had a guy/electricain comein and have a look but unsure off his advice and wanted to knwo if another solution.
I have a Commercial shop on ground floor and basement and the above converted into rooms with communal kitche, bathroom etc.
Can you advised if i am going to need two different meters for both the commercial shop and the accomodation? as told i need this and required by law and building regs. is this right as i'm sure this isn't required by law is it?? or can i ask the electricain to use the exsisting supply and just install two different consumer units one for the commercial property(down stairs) and one for the domestic property( above)? advice would be appreciated very much and a cheap but safe solution as safety first in domestic property.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:02 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 pm

You are not permitted to make money on the resale of electrical power so not to meter would leave you with a problem over how to charge for the power.

With caravan sites and marinas it is common to provide a very limited supply as part of the rent and not charge separately for it.

With residential caravans there is a problem in that a minimum of 32A is required and at that people can run up very big bills.

Boats are different but even here people do try to milk the supply with large batteries and inverters so a 4A supply will be giving 4A 24/7 so again user can run up big bill for landlord. In some cases the 4A limit is all to do with supply and not anything to do with limiting use.

But even if you don't need to meter the problems which could arise latter would mean you would be ill advised not to.

Because of shared amities in some cases there is no option but only by charging a fixed fee inclusive of all bills could you really get away without a meter. So if anyone does take the mick you end up footing the bill.

I know caravan sites and marinas do provide un-metered supplies and refund all users at end of year for any over payment but as to if that is totally legal is something else. As with many things first they have to get caught and taken to court.

Problem with buildings is all documentation is auto sent to local authority under Part P and I am sure same for other parts of building regulations so very easy for you to get caught.

It is very easy to find a regulation to say one can't but far harder to say one can. I have like I am sure many other electricians found from time to time something I have been doing for years was really not allowed. And it would be a very brave man who would answer your question by saying you don't need to meter.

However where the reverse is stated then they should be able to quote the regulation and having been caught out in past I now only act when someone can say where they found information as whispers can cost money.

Google ""

There special forums for Landlords maybe that's where you should post!
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2617
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Postby sparx » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:02 pm

not sure if I read this correctly but it seems to me by your use of 'rooms' & 'communal' that you intend one user of shop area plus bedsits with shared facilities?
I have dealt with similar situations so my take would be:
main meter for building 'belongs' to energy supplier so one bill.
Then from there to tails splitter 'Henley' connector blocks.
from here one 'private ' check meter in tails to 'shop' con. unit.
A second set of tails to switch fuse feeding 'Sub main' up stairs with second 'private' check meter to local consumer unit either for all upstairs to share bill or [as one local place here] goes from upper con. unit to one meter to each bedsit
Problem is someone (you?) has to take all readings and share out costs!
If just one shop area plus one flat then sharing 2 readings not so bad!
regards Sparx
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby TheDoctor4 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:43 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 16777215
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Somerset in the UK in Shepton mallet

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics