How to wire an old pull-down light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
misspiggy
Labourer
Labourer

How to wire an old pull-down light

by misspiggy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 pm

I have recently purchased an old second-hand light (pull down variety). The light comes with no backing plate or ceiling fitting. Basically it has a large black cover over the mechanics that operate the pulley. There are 3 wires that come out of the top with a hook to secure it to the ceiling. I have tried to wire it in to a conventional ceiling rose backplate but there is no room for the hook. My question is, how can I wire this light fitting to the ceiling without the conventional ceiling rose, so that I can have room to fit a conector to the ceiling so that the hook in the light can fix to it?
Is it possible for me to fix the corresponding ceiling wires to the wires from the light directly?

Yours hopefully

MP

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:20 pm

misspiggy,
You will need to remove the ceiling rose (note which wires go to the two outside terminals, these need to connect to the new light wires) and put the wires into a connector block - note carefully which wires went together. The hook plate is then screwed into the ceiling - with luck into the same holes which held the rose in place, then hang the light and fit the wires from the light into the connecting block. The chances are that the SH light will have the hideous edison screw fitting so you must identify which wire is live - this goes to the centre terminal.
Make sure you turn off the lighting circuit before you start.
end

misspiggy
Labourer
Labourer

by misspiggy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. So I need to get a connector - I am a bit of a novice I'm afraid. I have managed to successfully install new ceiling roses to other rooms as they all had hideous lights wired directly into the ceiling, but this one has stumped me because I am unable to keep the ceiling rose in place. So, when I get the connector do I fix this to the ceiling? And then connect the live to live, neutral to neutral and earth to earth?

yours appreciatively
MP

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:59 am