How to wire in bathroom light switch after cord snapped
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
psh
Labourer
Labourer

How to wire in bathroom light switch after cord snapped

by psh » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:39 am

Hi all

The other day, the cord for the bathroom light switch snapped. I thought this should be an easy job, even for someone like me who knows nothing about electrical work...

I got a replacement switch from the local hardware shop, switched off the electricity and unscrewed the old switch only to find that it has four terminals, whereas the one I bought has three. So now I'm a bit stuck.

The terminals on the new one are marked L1, L2 and com. The terminals on the old one are marked L, N, L, N. Can anyone tell me how I should be wiring it up? Do I need a different type of switch? The only thing I can think of is that on the old switch, two of the terminals just seem to be wired together, but presumably there is a reason for that?

Pics attached.

Thanks!
Attachments
old_switch_2.jpg
old_switch_1.jpg
new_switch_1.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to wire in bathroom light switch after cord snapped

by ericmark » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:19 pm

The old one is either a double pole switch or a intermediate switch, new one is a two way switch.

I can only guess, lets see how close I am?
I will guess it's a double pole switch and it feeds both the light and bathroom fan, rules say with a non opening window in bathroom you must have a means to run fan without putting on the light. So likely there is a manual fan push button and the fan also works with light?

If so you need a double pole switch not a two way switch.

psh
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to wire in bathroom light switch after cord snapped

by psh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi Eric

Thanks for your reply. You were close, but slightly off. It's my fault for omitting an important bit of information!

There is no fan, but there are two lights - the main light and a 'decorative' light under the bath. I got a double pole light switch from Wickes and now all is good!

Cheers

P

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 pm