Humming halogen lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
propertyman
Labourer
Labourer

Humming halogen lights

by propertyman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm

I have some under-unit spotlights fitted in my kitchen. These are low voltage and are driven by the supplied transformer. This is attached to a wall dimmer unit. The problem is that a humming noise comes from the lights/transformer when switched on. What can I do to eliminate this? Is it a potential danger if I decide to live with it?

Thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi the 'humming' noise is from the transformer & is 50Hz. mains in coil & is unavoidable, to reduce if fitted to cabinets is to move unit to solid surface if poss. as cabinets act as sound amplifiers like a load speaker cabinet would.
regards SPARX

propertyman
Labourer
Labourer

humming

by propertyman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks sparx. I was wondering if that was the answer but my electrician thought it was due to "ballast" - whatever that meant. Anyway it didn't solve the problem!

Newcomer
Labourer
Labourer

Downlighter bulbs not lasting

by Newcomer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am

I have a friend whose downlighter bulbs in her kitchen don't seem to last more than a month after she replaces them. Any ideas?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi, if they are capsule lamps as used in under cabinet lights with 2 prong connections they must not be touched with bare fingers as the 'glass' is quartz crystal which absorbes slightest trace of oil from hands, this causes hotspots, blackening & a short life.
If recessed type ceiling fitting check rating of lamps against fittings design rating which should be on the holder
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 am