Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Raj Patel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hung toilet frames

by Raj Patel » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Dear Experts,

Upon advice of a well meaning friend I bought a metal frame + concealed system + WC for a hunf toilet project.

The manufacturer of the system (TC bathrooms) tells me that the minimum wall thinckness to install the frame is 150 mm. My wal is 110 MM. The rawl plugs they supply is 70 MM and I would have thought that there is enough meat left in the wall thereafter. The frame is to be fit with 4 screws to the wall and 2 to the floor.

Is there anyway, I can get around this.

Raj Patel

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Raj Patel,
Suspect the manufacturer is being cautious, the instructions probably tell you to wear eye/ear/hand protection and a whole host of other precautions.
The question is what is the 110mm wall made of?
end

Raj Patel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hung toilets

by Raj Patel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 pm

Solid breeze block

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:21 am

Breeze block isn't solid. I certainly wouldn't hang one on breeze without extra support. Neither would I expect breeze to be used in a loadbearing wall because it isn't.

If its only 4" it's possibly an internal wall. If so wheres the waste going?

Alternatively its really bigger than 4". So your post is confusing.

Anyway do you mean building blocks? I suspect you do in which case you may be OK.

Cheers

Edit: Wrote "should" when I should have written "may". Now corrected.
Last edited by rosebery on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:17 am

There are different frames on the market designed to spread the load in different ways, so it is difficult to specific about an answer.

This is the same too for wall construction. There are different types of block, and of course it depends on how strong the mortar mix is.

The standard says the frame should be able to support a 400kg load so your fixing should be to the same specification.

I guess the wall thickness you mention includes the plaster as well, which means it is actually only a 4" (100mm) wall, nowhere near the 6" (150mm) the installation calls for.

To be honest, and I can't be sure, but I don't think I would consider a single thickness block wall to be sufficient for hanging a toilet from.

Raj Patel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hung toilet

by Raj Patel » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:40 pm

I think it is a building block - sort of black and quite solid. It is not hollow. Any how I am thinking to use a 8mm thick solid metal flat at the back of the wall and use bolts right through the flats to the frame which can be bolted on. The wall is not a load bearing wall.

Normally the frame requires 4 masonary bolts and two to be fixed into the floor boards. I think that if I use the metal flat to support the frame at the top and ordinary 70mm masonary bolts for the bottom two, then it should be OK shouldn't it?

As to the waste, the pipe goes through this wall and runs along the wall and into the main foul water drain.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 am

The addition of the steel plate on the outside of the wall seems like a good solution. It may be sufficient to spread the load and make the installation safe.

Raj Patel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wall hung toilets

by Raj Patel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help. The proof of the pudding is..... Once the toilet is installed, I will post a report.

Raj Patel

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:08 pm