DIY Doctor

Main navigation

i did this job for my customer i need some advice if poss

Postby sparked » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 pm

im only a partly qualified sparky did exam etc with logic under the define scope etc

i did state this with the customer before work commenced

i also do odd jobs like laminate flooring etc etc

right then

this customer has 2 flats on top of each other

there was the exisiting cables already in placeand just wanted the following

in each flat to connect the electric cooker into the control unit and a fused spur from it for the hob if you know what i mean

and in the other replace cable with new for the cooker running this through the loft

installed a security light outside
put new cable in for wall lights off the switch

now what kind of price should i charge him he was a friend of the family

oh i must point out that in one of the flats there is no consumer unit as in both flats have been rewired previously in the old colours and nothing is tagged up either i ve only done the work as ive mentioned

the customer now says the job is not complete and refuses to pay anything
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 7:53 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 am

I read your post with interest
1) Most the split level cookers I have seen the manufacturer stipulates the feed size for the hob and if fitting the recommended MCB then this is normally too small to then be also able to supply the oven so normally a separate supply is required for the oven although I have seen this taken from kitchen ring main.
2) The way the post is worded it seems uncertain if you have fitted the consumer unit or not.
3) I don’t think anyone could work out the price of any work without seeing it.
4) I would think normal procedure would be to withhold paper work until paid.
5) Who is doing the Part P are you registered or is it going through the council although the owner is responsible for Part P often the electrician arranges it I know I have and one must of course include that cost.
6) He says job is not complete well if you have made out if registered or received from LABC a completion certificate he can not really argue it is complete and on other hand if the completion certificate has not be issued then he is of course correct no job is complete until paper work is done.
You also need to bill for work and to do that it needs to be a lot more precise than what you have in your post length of cable used, items fitted and item supplied by you and method of charging for example as per estimate or so many hours at £x per hour. Early in my career I got caught out where the guy I did the work for threatened to tell tax man if I didn’t reduce my price etc. And I realised I was far better off working overtime than foreigners just too much hassle and they always wanted it done on the cheap and without the specialist tools one is slow my son with wall chasers etc will do twice as much work in a day to me so to compete I have to charge half his rate for my time so either one has to pay out and get all the tools of the trade and membership of some Part P system or give up it is really all or nothing in domestic side.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics