DIY Doctor

I need help:(

Postby robmasjor11 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:44 pm

My mum is looking to buy a new cooker and its a freestanding electric (ceramic top) she is replacing a small 450mm cooker to a standard 600mm. She has a 30 amp supply (standard?) and has been told that as the oven is 42 amp she cannot have it. I thought all cookers ran off a standard 30 amp supply?? am i wrong? what is the answer?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:40 pm


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:16 am

the answer is, change the fuse rating to 45amp mcb/rcbo if the cu has no rcd protection and the cable size suppling the cooker/hob via cu and isolator should be 6mm csa or greater, the isolater switch should also be rated at 45amps, if the isolator has a socket outlet, 10mm cable likely needed.
this is a electrician job not recommended diy.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby sparx » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:23 am

Oven @ 10.5kW!!!!
whoever told her that's a plonker!
It may be that if you add up all rings & oven it comes to 42A but you allow for diversity, have yet to find a free standing domestic cooker needing more than 30A supply,
regards Sparx
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics