I seem to have water leaking from outside overflow pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pbooks
Labourer
Labourer

I seem to have water leaking from outside overflow pipe

Post by pbooks » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:10 pm

I seem to have water leaking from outside overflow pipe that is running from the hot water tank, based on first floor.
My house is economy 7 & where hot water/immersion tank is, there is a small plastic pipe leading to outside house, which is leaking water and running down front of house & into lounge ceiling.
The water stopped leaking when i switched mains water off.
Please can someone tell me why water is leaking from the pipe (overflow)running from hot water tank to outside house? No water seems to be leaking inside house but only from hot water tank pipe leading outside.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:55 pm

The top of the tank has a store of water which is controlled by a ball valve in the same way a toilet is. The rubber seal in the valve is worn or perhaps the valve is seized consequently, the water is constantly filling the tank. It needs to be replaced.

Darkstar
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Darkstar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:26 pm

On my system, which has a cold water header tank feeding the hot water immersion tank, this was caused by the ballcock valve leaking, so that it never shut-off completely when the cold tank was full. Replacing the rubber seal within the valve fixed it. Hopefully you have something similar you could check.
HTH,
--
Rob

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 pm

'Please can someone tell me why water is leaking from the pipe (overflow)running from hot water tank to outside'

It's doing exactly as it should, discharging excess water to outside to prevent damage to your property. Change the ball valve, they sometimes just need adjusting or the float may be split - but for the price I would just replace the whole valve.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:45 am