I want to take blank off 1 wall light (1 of three)
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
morkery
Labourer
Labourer

I want to take blank off 1 wall light (1 of three)

by morkery » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:40 am

In my new extension I've had three wall lights installed on the same switch. Anyway my wife has inherited a big welsh dresser and one of the lights is in the way - well where we want to put it!

Can I simply (Prob death of many a DIY-ER) disconnect light and use a choc box? With the dresser in front? I don't want to lose it altogether, because I'd like to put the light back in future

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: I want to take blank off 1 wall light (1 of three)

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 pm

[quote="morkery"]In my new extension I've had three wall lights installed on the same switch. Anyway my wife has inherited a big welsh dresser and one of the lights is in the way - well where we want to put it!

Can I simply (Prob death of many a DIY-ER) disconnect light and use a choc box? With the dresser in front? I don't want to lose it altogether, because I'd like to put the light back in future[/quote]

MORKERY
U could install the terminal block ( after turning off supply )
inside a plastic switch patress box and blank plate , rather than leave the the wire floating. more neater and safer .

BLAKEY1963

morkery
Labourer
Labourer

by morkery » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Stupid question, are terminal blocks the same as connection blocks?

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:36 pm

[quote]Stupid question, are terminal blocks the same as connection blocks?[/quote] Yes.
It would be normal to put the connection block inside something either a i.e. Screwfix 44952 Crabtree 1G 29mm Moulded Box
Plus 40660 Crabtree 1G Blank Plate
Or since most lights have same screw spacing as conduit boxes
20521 Terminal Box 1 Way Black
54715 Circular Terminal Box Lid Black
Don't forget screws if you don't have any.
We would not normally leave wires with just a terminal block on it. If the holes are less than 1mm it may pass regulations but unlikely to have less than 1mm holes for screw driver so would not pass regulations without a box of some sort. A 46538 Chocbox is about the minimum protection I would consider.
Eric

morkery
Labourer
Labourer

by morkery » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:32 am

Many thanks.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 pm