Ideal Combi Boiler Puzzle
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tonyg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tonyg » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi

I've recently had an Ideal Logic Boiler fitted but it seems to have some problems.I have to bleed the radiators two/three times a week because of noise and uneven heating but even with such frequent bleeding the boiler pressure s l o w l y creeps up. I noticed this problem soon after installation,I told the installer and he too is baffled.Any ideas anyone

Thanks in anticipation

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

Post by plastic_man77 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Don't know the particular boiler you have had installed. I don't understand why the rads need bleeding either- is this just so you can reduce the pressure in the system or do you get air out and improve the problems you are having?

Does the pressure slowly rise if you don't have the heating on- in which case it could be a faulty filling loop- passing mains water in to the heating system.

If this is not the case it could be another part of the boiler, where mains water and heating water are is close proximity, such as the plate heat exchanger, and mains water could be leaching through a failed component or seal, thus slowly increasing the system pressure.

Don't know about the noises, it could be part of the same thing, depending on how high the pressure rises. Does it get to 3 bar?

To me, the obvious thing would be to call your installer, he double checks his work, if he's left scratching his head- call the boiler manufacturer out under warranty to assess the problem. If their product is at fault they will pay for the repair. But, if you get charged for something your installer has caused, send him the bill.

Incidently- uneven heating is probably down to balancing, not the boiler, and, are the noises coming from the boiler or the radiators? If it's the rads, did you have rad thermostats fitted before the work was carried out and are they bi-directional? If you already had TRVs installed and they aren't bi-directional, then the flow and return pipes may have been swapped over during the new installation, causing the valve to chatter. The quickest cure is to swap the flow and return back over at the boiler. Alternatively, buy some bi-directional TRVs and have them fitted.

tonyg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tonyg » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi Plastic_man77

Many thanks for your reply

The boiler is an Ideal Standard "Ideal logic + 30"

Yes,I get air when I bleed the two upstairs rads,they are the noisy ones, and they are fitted with bi-directional TRVs.The downstairs rads have ordinary TRVs and don't need to be bled
Yes,the pressure rises even with the heating off.The pressure did once get nearly to 3bar and I bled the u/s rads to reduce the pressure,which as expected it did - but it was soon creeping up again !
I've noticed something else - water drips from the external flue when DHW is called for, it's probably only condensation considering the cold weather,but it happens even when the CH is on and I would expect the flue to be warm.

I have taken your advice and the installer is coming on Tuesday.

If you have any more comments to arm myself with I'd be very grateful

fourfeet
Labourer
Labourer

IDEAL LOGIC BOILER 30

Post by fourfeet » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi,
Suggest you contact Ideal Service Department No 01482492251.

I had an Ideal fitter some three weeks ago, had a problem they sent an engineer in 2 days, diagnosed the problem all now OK

Hope this helps Peter

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1