Ideas for new home layout for 3-bed bungalow
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajazztune
Labourer
Labourer

Ideas for new home layout for 3-bed bungalow

by ajazztune » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:29 am

Hello, first time posting here. We have just bought a 3-bed bungalow which needs a new layout to make it more family friendly. I will attach the current floor plan. We were wondering about moving the kitchen to the other side of the house to give access to the vast south facing garden and river views, ie moving kitchen into the central bedroom and make open plan to the dining room. We would then convert the kitchen to a master suite.
In real terms is this a terrible idea having such an open plan space in the middle of the home? Sometimes these things can seem good on paper/in your head! Thanks for any ideas. :)
Attachments
86A207A0-733C-4ED3-B78B-F19090E2FE23.jpeg
E951F74A-4AFC-418F-866E-9AF74D0D9362.jpeg
5BB824BC-A842-4854-8B1D-9A9EAEE47AA7.jpeg

HKL91
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Ideas for new home layout for 3-bed bungalow

by HKL91 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:26 pm

Hi! Did you ever go ahead with this change? Or get an idea into the cost of moving the drainage services to do it?
We're considering buying a 3 bed bungalow and moving the kitchen for the same reasons

ajazztune
Labourer
Labourer

by ajazztune » Mon May 30, 2022 8:21 am

Hi! Yes we went for it. My instinct was correct to follow the light. Moving the services has been pretty straightforward but that depends on the layout. Hard to say cost as plumber doing various bits and joiner digging up waste alongside fitting kitchen. Best thing to do is get quotes. I have found that such changes are much easier in a bungalow as floor and attic access is so much more straightforward.

HKL91
Labourer
Labourer

by HKL91 » Mon May 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Ah thank you so much for replying! I'm please to hear you took the leap!
I've attached the current floorplan of the bungalow were looking at - We hope to move the kitchen to the living room and make the current kitchen/garage into a master suite!
We're yet to submit an offer on it yet though so unable to get quotes as we're not even sure the work is attainable for us for the price of the property. I'm also completely blind as to how much building works cost.
If I set aside £20-£30K for a similar job to yours am I seeing the world in rose tinted glasses and completely barking up the wrong tree?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:44 am