Illuminated glass floor panel
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
filthyfrog
Labourer
Labourer

Illuminated glass floor panel

by filthyfrog » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi, hope someone can help with this, I am about to build a new decked area in my garden and we are going to have (hopefully if I get some answers) part of it as glass which I hope to illuminate from underneath, I have no problem with the glass, I know about IP rating and am competent enough with electrics to carry out the job, my problem is I just don't know what to use, as in the type of light fitting to give enough light, I have searched the internet but cant seem to find the answer, I need the panel to glow rather than light the area, floor panels are 1000mm x 600mm x 50mm and are sand blasted one face. Anyone got any ideas please.
Thank you.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:35 am

Hi, can you timber box around under side edges of glass & use some recessed LED lights to light the box?
if box larger than glass lights won't show directly from above
regards Sparx

filthyfrog
Labourer
Labourer

by filthyfrog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks sparx
The glass will be sat in a stainless steel tray/box which will have a 6" gap between the underside of the glass and the stainless so the lights will be sat in the box in the hope that the light only illuminate the glass and not spill out under the deck. I am trying to figure out what type of light to use, will a LED not give me a spotlight effect on the underside of the glass ? What are your thoughts on using a or similar to underwater pond light, quite a large one as I imagine they are quite powerful especially the ones that sit on the bottom of the pond, not sure if they would get too hot out of water though.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Sorry not good explaination, I meant to put the lights around sides of tray rather than in base all pointing into tray so whole tray reflects light without actual lights visible from above except from distance.
U/Water lights do rely on water cooling glass to conduct heat away so may over heat unless tray can be sealed and filled with liquid?
I can see what you trying to do but I would just fit 'walkover' lights, much simpler,
good luck ,Sparx

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm