DIY Doctor

Main navigation

im fitting a new combi boiler and.......

Postby dog » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:28 pm

wondering if someone can tell me the building regulations in fitting this system.

i want to put the boiler in the kitchen and to plumb into the existing radiators

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:17 pm


Simply Build It

Postby marrtin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:10 am

First of all can you please confirm you will not be fitting the boiler yourself as this would be against the law, dangerous and will invalidate your house insurance let alone put you in line for a hefty fine or prison sentence.
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Postby ericmark » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:20 am

Think it comes under Part L

Postby kbrownie » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi dog,
can't fit new combi boilers anymore, have to be condensing boilers.
Need Corgi registered gas fitter to carry out work.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby coupedummy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:45 am

Kitchen is fine to fit,
condensing boiler is a requirement to be fitted under part l but some extremly rare incidnces a standard combi can still be fitted.e.g where no phyiscal routing to drainage for condense is possible and any position of fitting boiler.doesnt any apply to any ive seen tho as position boilers can always be moved.

Condense drain must go to sewage waste drain and not storm drains.
gas must be connected and boiler commisioned by qualified corgi fitter.
boiler to be installed and commisioned via manufactuars instructions always!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:40 am

Postby ericmark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:45 am

A combi boiler can be condensing or non condensing and a condensing boiler can be combi or standard.
Combi means it instantly heats hot water and no hot water cylinder or cistern is required.
Condensing means the exhaust gases are cooled to a point below boiling point and the latent heat of evaporation is used by the system. Some systems even use heat pumps and a three stage system to extract the last drop of energy but I have not seen them for sale in UK.
There is a third label either open or closed system most modern combi condensation boilers are closed system. But open systems are available in both combi and condensation systems.
Because duel fire/boilers or back boilers can be in the centre of a house condensing boilers can't be used because not really possible to relocate but to not use a condensation boiler would be silly unless something like that prevented it so they are not stocked and very hard to get one that isn't condensation type.
Who fits what is now becoming a problem as the plummer can no longer do the electrical part nor can the electrician do the gas part it seems that after years of trying to get workers to do work on allied trades to which the unions fought hard to stop it is now the government it's self who have returned us to one man one job again.

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Last edited by TheDoctor5 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics